9/11 Continues To Be A Day To Remember

Twelve years ago yesterday, one of the most traumatic events in US History occurred. Nearly 3,000 lives were taken between the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the attacks that caused the plane crash in Pennsylvania. Even to this day, 9/11 is recognized with heavy hearts by citizens all over the country.

Following the bell yesterday, Principal Dennis Cramsey made an announcement encouraging students and faculty to take notice of the flag hung at half-staff in honor of the 9/11 victims. Teachers were also sent a link for a video to be played in class, which was to be followed by a moment of silence. The video contained statistics, including the number of spouses and parents lost, the amount of money and blood donated and so on.

“It’s always important to honor those lost,” Mr. Cramsey said. “We all want to feel like our life has meaning and we feel that when we honor these victims.”

“I thought it was a very reflective video,” senior class President Mitchell Taplin said. “9/11 is a day to thank our fallen heroes… It’s a time to remember that we’re a strong country and nobody can bring us down.”

Senior class Vice President Selena Gray took a step up to display her appreciation for 9/11 responders and victims by suggesting that students and staff be encouraged to wear red in memory.

In the past week, multiple signs have been displayed throughout the school by NHS members to remind students about the special day and to promote the wearing of red in remembrance. This has allowed EHS students to show their respect to the victims and their families.

Mr. Cramsey felt very proud to see so much of the school’s population wearing red. “I literally saw a sea of red [in the cafeteria] and it reassured me how great of a student body we have,” Mr. Cramsey said. “All I want is for students to know how proud I am of them.”

This sort of patriotism can be found throughout the country on a day as monumental as 9/11. “It’s really hard on a lot of people but it symbolizes that even though America is controversial, days like today bring everyone together,” Gray said.

Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas, Views Editor
Hannah Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Views editor for Tiger Times and The Claw. She loves blogging and photography along with her job at Edison's Entertainment Complex. Hannah enjoys country music and horror movies and is a fan of any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Being a member of Yearbook Club and National Honor Society, her goal is to leave one last mark on her school this year before going off to college. She hopes to be able to hold onto her tiger pride by attending the University of Missouri to major in journalism. Hannah hopes to make her senior year as memorable as possible and loves meeting new people. Get to know her!