Deck the Halls

Art is in our everyday lives. Some of us enjoy making it, some enjoy viewing it and yet others of us have looked past it. This year, however, EHS has decided to incorporate alumni artwork into the school décor.

If you have not had the opportunity yet, take a look around the Media Center. Colorful art pieces now cover the walls. Not only that, but the main office now displays a student art gallery, showing off the work of graduated students who are now going to share their art with the rest of the world.

“I think it’s important to have artwork around the school,” senior Melissa Suermann said. “Edwardsville is big on being prideful, and this gives a more personal look into the lives of EHS students.”

Principal Dennis Cramsey has been a huge participant in the addition of the artwork. He said he loves anything students do, whether it is art, music, acting, or any other type of performing. He hopes to display 10 to 12 new pieces a year throughout the school, along with the addition of more art to his office.

“Just being able to put students’ talents on display is what I really enjoy,” Mr. Cramsey said. “It helps recognize students’ skills and gifts that they’ve been given.”

Mr. Cramsey enjoyed art himself in his high school career and took art classes. “I can draw some pretty good stick figures,” he said.

Senior Kristy Shady is one of the many students at EHS that really appreciates the new decoration. “It’s good to be displaying every aspect the school has to offer, not just all the sports trophies that we’ve won,” she said.

Shady really hopes to get the opportunity to display some of her own art before she graduates. “It’s like I’m leaving a sort of legacy,” she said.

No matter what the hobby is, EHS does a great job of supporting it. From sports trophies, to theater posters, to art on the walls, Tiger pride is everywhere. Catch it.

Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas, Views Editor
Hannah Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Views editor for Tiger Times and The Claw. She loves blogging and photography along with her job at Edison's Entertainment Complex. Hannah enjoys country music and horror movies and is a fan of any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Being a member of Yearbook Club and National Honor Society, her goal is to leave one last mark on her school this year before going off to college. She hopes to be able to hold onto her tiger pride by attending the University of Missouri to major in journalism. Hannah hopes to make her senior year as memorable as possible and loves meeting new people. Get to know her!