“The Longest Ride” Sparks Audience’s Attention

If any author has the most well-known story line, it’d have to be without a doubt, Nicholas Sparks. He’s known for his sappy love stories. Some of the most popular are “The Notebook,” “A Walk to Remember” and “Dear John.”

“The Longest Ride,” Sparks’ most recent book to movie, had the audience in the theater shedding a few tears, myself included. I’ll admit that it’s not his most heartbreaking story, but of course it still involves an overload of emotions.

Typically each of his stories includes two “attractive” people from completely different worlds falling in love, a death or a terrible accident and a predictable ending. “The Longest Ride” proved to be no different.

Casting Scott Eastwood (Luke Collins) as one of the main characters sure made it worth the watch. With his southern charm and unmistakable smile, how could anyone pass him up? The on-screen love story between Collins and Britt Robertson (Sophia Dako) makes you wonder if they are together in real life, it was more than believable.

Any book that’s made into a movie will usually always have a slight change in detail in the film version, but “The Longest Ride” differed quite a bit.

In the book, Sophia and Luke met because of her psycho ex-boyfriend starting a fight with her and Luke stopped him by throwing him on the ground. He put his shoe on his neck and rubbed his face into the dirt for putting a hand on Sophia.

However, in the movie there is not even a single mention of the ex-boyfriend; they meet by Sophia grabbing the hat he dropped in the bull riding ring as he hopped onto the fence separating them to escape the angry bull. She offers it back to him and he says to keep it. Then later on, they meet later while both standing outside looking out into the dark field.

A few small differences are not a problem, but I found it a little strange how they entirely changed the way the two main characters met. Maybe it is not a huge deal to some people, but to others it changes the story.

Other than a couple drastic changes from book to movie, I have no complaints. “The Longest Ride” is easily now in my top favorite movies. But then again, so are all of Sparks’ movies. He just has a way with words.

Ashlynne Kaliher
Ashlynne Kaliher, Staff Writer
Ashlynne Kaliher is a senior at EHS. She enjoys adventuring with her friends on the weekends and reading books every once in a while. Her favorite subject in school is Journalism, of course. Writing and fashion are Ashlynne’s two greatest passions in life. Writing is something that will always follow her, and she plans on pursuing a career in writing at some point in the future. Fashion is important to her because it can be used to express your personality. Ashlynne lives by the saying “Everything happens for a reason.” She tries to enjoy the little things because life is short, so why not?