Drama Club Presents ‘Celebration’ As Fall Show

The world renowned “Shakespeare!” and “Phantom of the Opera” successfully hit the stage as last year’s Drama Club fall and spring productions. A new year brings in new shows, and this fall’s show is expected to succeed.

Drama Club will perform “Celebration” on Nov. 14 and 15. Written by Tom Jones, the musical is about an orphan (played by senior Clay Schoolman) who tries to get his land back from the powerful Mr. Rich (played by junior Kevin Connelly). The play involves a tricky love triangle, social status and generosity.

“Celebration,” unlike the previous plays is “not as well known,” senior costume designer Kyla Jackson said. Because the musical is not as popular, there are no strict guidelines that the Drama Club has to follow. Jackson believes that this allows the actors to “do their own thing.” Because there was no recording of “Celebration” for the cast to go off, they started from scratch and used fresh ideas for dance moves and costumes.

“It was different working on a show that people are unfamiliar with, but it just lead to more creativity from the Drama department,” senior actor Clay Schoolman said. “We have so much talent here and it really shows when you are forced to come up with new ideas.”

Last spring, the eerie presence of the phantom and his cape in “The Phantom of the Opera” spooked the audience. “Celebration” has a much livelier mood, though it can be serious at moments. “The fall play also has a more exciting and modern twist compared to the [past shows],” Jackson said.  “It’s different but I think people will love it.”

Not only will Drama Club be performing for its family and peers, but also judges. Every four years the Drama department submits a show to the state competition. Judges will watch the Friday and Saturday shows and rank them on the state level. The last show that Drama Club submitted was “Starmites” in the fall of 2010.

“It may seem odd that we are submitting a show that is not as popular, but we are confident in it,” senior actor Jacob Duniphan said. “We believe that the judges will favor our creativity with the play.” Key parts of the play are the songs “Somebody” (sung by senior Jill Burroughs) and “Orphan in the storm” (sung by Schoolman).

Tickets for “Celebration” can be purchased for $5 in the main office.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!