A Twist to the Emmy Award Show 2014

Do you hate Mondays? It seems that many high school students hate them; it’s the start of a new school week and the day drags on forever. Maybe watching The 66th Emmy Awards made this past Monday a little more exciting.

This year was actually the first time the Emmys aired on a Monday since 1976, which was 38 years ago. Football was the main cause. The Emmys happened to be on the channel NBC this year, which also has a big contract with the NFL. Many Sundays were already taken up by football, and no one wants to hold an award show going into Labor Day because people wouldn’t be focused on it. Therefore, the Emmys were pushed back to August and forced to air on a Monday.

Everyone can enjoy the Emmys. Who doesn’t like watching your favorite TV stars win awards? There were a total of 99 nominations, including 31 Netflix Series Emmys. The Netflix Emmys are something rather new considering how prominent Netflix is becoming in today’s society.

Previous Saturday Night Live cast member Seth Meyers hosted the show and got quite a few laughs from the audience during his intro by inserting jokes throughout. Humor comes naturally for someone like Meyers.

Ty Burrell from “Modern Family” started the show out by winning the first award of the night for Supporting Actor in a Comedy. No one was too surprised by this, considering the hilarious role he plays in the TV series.

The award for Lead Actor in a Comedy went to Jim Parsons, who stars on the sitcom “The Big Bang Theory.” Jim had quite a bit to say in his acceptance speech. One part that stood out the most was when he mentioned how his father had passed away but never discouraged his dream of acting.

“American Horror Story,” a popular TV series today, won two Emmys with the actresses Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange for Outstanding Supporting Actress as well as Outstanding Lead Actress.

You can’t forget the series “Breaking Bad.” This hit series won Best Drama, and Aaron Paul won an Emmy for Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. Two other cast members, Anna Gun and Bryan Cranston, also won Emmys for Best Supporting Actress and Best Lead Role.

Another TV series watched by many, “Sherlock,” received the most awards that night, a total of seven, including lead and supporting actors for Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

Thanks to Weird Al Yankovic “revamping” popular TV series’ theme songs and Sara Bareilles singing as tribute to many great actors that have passed, there was an extra ‘oomph” to the Emmys.

From a wonderful host to amazing award winners, dull is not a word that could describe the 66th Emmy Award Show.

Ashlynne Kaliher
Ashlynne Kaliher, Staff Writer
Ashlynne Kaliher is a senior at EHS. She enjoys adventuring with her friends on the weekends and reading books every once in a while. Her favorite subject in school is Journalism, of course. Writing and fashion are Ashlynne’s two greatest passions in life. Writing is something that will always follow her, and she plans on pursuing a career in writing at some point in the future. Fashion is important to her because it can be used to express your personality. Ashlynne lives by the saying “Everything happens for a reason.” She tries to enjoy the little things because life is short, so why not?