MTV’s Music Video Awards: A Blast From The Past

What’s a no. 1 song without a modern music video to tell the story behind the melody? For one night, artists, some iconic and others unfamiliar, gather at MTV’s Video Music Awards in hopes of being recognized for their music videos and winning a silver seven pound moon man.

The VMA are also acknowledged as being home to incredible performances and jaw-dropping stunts. Before you tune into the 2014 show, here’s a splash of history about years’ past VMA.

Honoring the King of Pop and his endless contributions to the music industry, MTV created  the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award in 1991—an award given to artists who dedicate numerous years of successful leadership in pop culture. Legends such as Madonna, Beastie Boys, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake have accepted this award. And now, the 2014 Vanguard Award will go to none other than Beyoncé. Nominated for nine categories this year, Queen Bey proved herself when she secretly produced 17 music videos to perfection on her surprise album. If all goes well for Bey, she will be tied with Madonna for most awards won at 20.

Some of the most powerful performances in VMA history were performed in the late 90’s to the early 2000’s. After the death of Rap icon Notorious B.I.G., his producer Diddy and widow Faith Evans performed a tribute to his death, singing the song “I’ll be Missing You” in the 1997 VMA that had the crowd in tears. Just as empowering was the Queen of Pop, Britney Spears, performing “I’m a Slave 4 U” at the 2001 VMA. Joining Britney and her background dancers on stage was a huge yellow snake named “Banana.”

2009 was one of the VMA most shocking moments in history: Kanye West vs. Taylor Swift. Upon winning Best Female Video, Taylor Swift began her speech of gratuity. Kanye West, disagreeing with the winner, hopped on stage, stole the microphone, and expressed his feelings. “I’m sorry but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time,” West said.  Embarrassed, the then-teen pop star shuffled off the stage but was given another chance to speak by Video of the Year winner, Beyoncé.

Musicians come and go, but others stand their ground in the entertainment world making several returning appearances to the VMA. Pharrell, whose first nomination was in 2003 for Best Hip Hop, is returning this year for his seventeenth VMA as a Video of the Year nominee for his hit single “Happy.” R&B singer Usher’s first time performing at the VMA was in 1998 in Los Angeles where he performed his hit single “My Way.” Usher performed again in 2002 and 2004, and is coming this year for his fourth VMA appearance.

The excitement in past VMA is the reason why the award show is still popular today. Who knows? Maybe you’ll catch another legendary performance or breathtaking scene during the 2014 show.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!