How To: Paint Your Nails The ‘Salon Look’

With the seasons finally changing, you might get the urge to paint your nails beautiful spring colors without having to pay extreme amounts of money to get them done. Here are the steps to paint your nails at home and still get the “salon” look you want.

1.         Start off with a clean, polish-free nail. To ensure that there is no polish on your nails, dab nail polish remover on a cotton ball and rub it on your fingernails. A recommended brand is Sally Hansen Extra Strength Fast Nail Polish Remover, which can be purchased at Walmart for $2.18.

2.         In choosing the type of nail polish, it is important that you choose a durable brand. China Glaze, OPI and Essie are favored brands among beauty gurus. After choosing the brand and color that you want to wear, shake the bottle well. Using the brush, make a small drop of paint near your cuticle. Slowly stroke the paint toward the tip of your nail, making a thin vertical line on your nail.

3.         Reapply more paint to the brush and repeat the process. Make a dot of paint near your cuticle. This time, stroke the paint toward the tip of your nail at a different angle other than the previous vertical line. Continue to do this until you have painted nail completely. If necessary, apply a second coat and clear polish to add shine and durability.

Tip: If you get polish outside of your nails, take a cotton swab and dip it in nail polish remover. Use your cotton swab to remove the excess nail polish in narrow corners without ruining your nails at the same time.

4.         Let your nails dry for at least 10 minutes, and don’t touch anything. To avoid moving, listen to music or read an article. To finish your nails, spray them with a finishing spray. DeMert Nail Enamel Dryer is popular among nail salons in Edwardsville, and be purchased at Walgreens for $3.99.

If you want beautiful nails, but don’t have the time or money to go to the nail salon, follow these steps and tips to ensure a fabulous look.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!