How To: Make Your Eyes Look Glamorous

If you’re ever out or at an event, you want to make sure you look very best. One way to make sure you’ll turn heads once you walk through the doors—great eye makeup. Not “okay” eye makeup, but “great”. However, some people tend to get lost while attempting to achieve greatness. So, here’s a guide to lead you out of the darkness and into the lime light of the party with your fabulous eyes.

1.            First, take a concealer about two shades lighter than your skin complexion and make about three dots under your eyes, starting from the inner part of your eye and ending at the outermost area. By doing this, you will eliminate any dark circles underneath your eyes and create an even skin tone. Highly recommended concealer is L’Oreal Paris True Match Super Blend-able Concealer and can be purchased at Walmart for $7.97.

2.            Next, Eye shadow Primer should be put on. Primer will stop any imperfections in your eye shadow throughout the event such as creasing or fading. Put a small portion of primer on your finger or brush and rub it on both of your eyelids evenly and lightly. Sephora sells many top notch primers including the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Potion Tube for $12.00.

3.            After preparing your eyes, you are ready to put on eye shadow. When choosing eye shadow colors, it is important to keep in mind the outfit you will be wearing. Matching is out. Many people think that the eye shadow has to be the same color as the clothing you are wearing. However, as long the colors coordinate, it will still look fabulous. Remember, if you find yourself in a color oriented fumble, you can always rely on your basic nude colors to make your eyes pop—those never fail. To apply your chosen eye shadow color, dab the brush in the shadow and lightly stroke your eyelids from the inside corners to the outside with the brush until you get the color you want. Next, you will want to choose another coordinating color for your highlight. The highlight brightens the eyes and runs along the crease of your eyes to the eyebrow bone. If you are more experienced with makeup, you could use two different colors for the highlight, one for the crease and one for the eyebrow bone. Bare Minerals and Mac are preferable makeup brands that sell dependable eye shadow. Although pricey, you can always depend on this eye shadow to make your eyes shimmer.

4.            To top off your eyes, use mascara and eyeliner to define them. Take your mascara and hold the stick next to your eye lashes and blink repeatedly, allowing the mascara to evenly coat your eye lashes. Repeat this step until you get your desired length. Then, take your eyeliner and run it along your waterline of your eyes. If you want extra definition, you can also put it on your eyelids as well. This step may be harder for those who have trouble holding things close to your eyes.  Brands such as Maybelline New York and L’Oreal sell quality mascaras and eyeliners at convenience stores.

If you follow these steps in order, you are sure to look like a star at the party. Just remember not over do-it, but also follow your instinct and have fun with it.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!