Bel Canto Sings Their Way To Top

The EHS Bel Canto Chorus was among five high school choirs in Illinois that preformed at the Illinois Music Educators Association All-State Conference on Jan. 25.

“There are only two opportunities for choir chambers to be recognized. This one we are performing in and the ACDA,” choir director Mrs. Lynda Marshall said.

In order to participate in the All-State conference Mrs. Marshall had to send an audition tape. What is so special about the tape is that it is from last year’s Bel Canto choir.

“If your school has any consistency the chorus sounds the same.” Mrs. Marshall said.

The choir’s first performance was at the Riverside Community Church for the music education conference. The Bel Canto girls performed nine songs, five of which are in English.

On Jan. 22, the Bel Canto girls had a run through in the auditorium.

“I’m really nervous. This is a really big deal.” sophomore Maddie Litterst said before the performance that day. The performance was for parents and classmates during third hour only.

After practicing in front of the school, the choir felt much more prepared about the All-State competition.

“This is a big honor to be accepted,” Mrs. Marshall announced. “The stage they will be preforming on is unique, they will be preforming for the most critical audience of their life time. The audience will all be music teachers.”

The first songs in their selection were from the Romantic era, Renaissance era, and slowly they worked their way to a more modern selection. The girls ended strongly with “Penny Lane” starring soloist sophomore Marie Beatty, “Let it be” with soloist junior Aliyah Ware and then ending with “Gaudette!” which was written by Professor Engelhardt of Milliken University.

“We did really well at the performance on the 25th,” junior Brooke Thomason said. “Professor Englehardt was really impressed on how we performed his piece.”

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.