Disney ‘Froze’ Me In My Childhood

“Disney movies are for kids.”  Oh please, don’t make me laugh. I am 17 and I love Disney movies and I am proud. Disney and Pixar have been doing a fantastic job of bringing out the kid in all of us for decades.

The newest addition to the wonderful collection of Disney movies is “Frozen,” and I could not have loved it more.

It starts off with two sisters playing during a snow storm late at night and we discovery that the eldest sister, Elsa (Idina Menzel), has magic powers and can form snow and ice out of thin air. As cheesy as this sounds the giggling and laughing of the two girls quickly turns into fear when Elsa makes a mistake and strikes her younger sister with her magic.

At this point in the movie, everyone was on the edge of their seats and it had only been five minutes into the movie, children in the theater let out an “Oh no!” in response. The animation in this movie was almost perfect in every way. The movements of the characters were realistic and very human.

From that point on Elsa’s parents make her conceal her power, even from her little sister who is made to forget the whole thing, and in order to conceal Elsa’s power the castle’s gates are closed keeping others out and the princesses in.

The next scene is the youngest girl, Anna (Kristin Bell), is singing to her sister desperately trying to get her to come out and play. Within the minutes that the song plays out the two girls grow from children to teenagers.

On Elsa’s coronation day, the gates of the castle open up for the first time since the girls were little. Anna runs off and meets a young man who sweeps her off her feet and for the first time in years, the two sisters meet face to face again. The feeling at this point is happy, light and charming.

Within the first ten minutes I was crying, and the rest of the movie had me laughing and happy. A good movie is supposed to bring tears to your eyes, and then pull you right back to the edge of your seat, and Frozen did it.

The movie is fantastic and funny. The parents in the theater were enjoying it more than the kids, laughing had filled the theater more than once as the movie progressed and I believe this movie to be a must see. After all, Disney isn’t just for kids.

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.