It’s All Greek To Me

If your teacher told you that the next story you were going to read in class was “Macbeth” by Shakespeare, you might get the urge to roll up in a ball and cry and think your only hope for survival and keeping your “A” in the class is SparkNotes.

For some reason, the thought of having to decipher Shakespeare’s literature frightens us before we even begin to read.  Ironically, however, we use Shakespeare almost every day, and his legacy is all around us.

Have you ever called yourself a “Green-eyed monster” to describe how you’re jealous of your friend? That’s quoting Shakespeare. Or have you ever said you were “caught in a pickle” when you’re explaining your latest predicament? That’s quoting Shakespeare.

Or perhaps you’ve “had better days” because you spilled grape juice all over your favorite white shirt.

We quote Shakespeare in everyday conversations and probably don’t even know it. Yet, we are so quick to resist comprehending the confusing sentences and unfamiliar words.

Not only do we ourselves use Shakespeare, but many things around us are based off of Shakespeare as well.

The classic Disney movie, “The Lion King,” has a plot that was derived from Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.” When Simba’s father, Mufasa, is killed by his brother Scar, it resembles how Claudius kills King Hamlet.

Yes… the movie we all love and can quote word for word came from Shakespeare’s confusing thoughts and ideas.

The popular ’90s movie “Ten Things I Hate About You” starring Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles also represents Shakespearian literature: “The Taming of the Shrew.”

Stiles plays a rambunctious teenage girl who is bothered to find a boyfriend by her younger sister so that her younger sister can date as well. Stiles resembles the “shrew.”

Another famous work that Shakespeare influenced is “West Side Story” written by Stephen Sondheim.  The plot includes two gangs that fight against each other but have to star-crossed lovers from each gang.

This resembles the one and only “Romeo and Juliet.” The two gangs can be considered the Montagues and the Capulets and the lovers can be considered Romeo and Juliet.

A newer version of “Romeo and Juliet” has recently appeared in theatres as well.

So even though it can be a drag to understand Shakespeare’s work, remember his work is more popular and influential than you think.  Without him, “The Lion King” just wouldn’t be the same.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!