Twitter: A New Era of Social Media

In recent months, more and more students are logging off well-known social network Facebook, and logging on to new social media site Twitter.

Facebook is used by many EHS students, who help make up the site’s one billion visitors worldwide. According to Intel company McAfee, about 89.5 percent of teens have a Facebook account. EHS junior and avid Facebook user Allie Sweatt says she enjoys posting statuses and photos and catching up with her friends on the site. But in this technological age, teens have a growing number of options when it comes to social media.

Are all EHS students still using Facebook, or have new websites like Twitter captured their attention?

Senior Rachel Wiesehan says she still checks her Facebook, but not as much as she used to. Senior students Gabriel Msengi and Lauren White currently prefer Twitter to Facebook.

While Sweatt is still partial to Facebook, Msengi claims he likes Twitter because, “You can say what you like without people liking or commenting [on what you say]. It’s very chill.”

“You can post more on Twitter and have more options,” according to Wiesehan.

Twitter originated in 2006. By 2009, there were about two billion Tweets each day, according to Social Media Today. Presently, Twitter has over 500 million users tweeting daily, including EHS students.

Wiesehan, Msengi, and White all agree that Facebook is losing its popularity to Twitter. Some students such as Mike Johnston prefer Twitter now because there are fewer adults and parents on the site. Other students are just ready for something new.

“Facebook was fun when it was new, but now it’s just boring. People don’t have time for it,” said Msengi.

It is up to social media users like EHS students to tell whether or not Facebook will stand the test of time. The same can be said for Twitter and other new social media sites.

Senior Gabe Szymarek asserted, “Twitter is just a fad. Other social networks will come to replace it.”

Wiesehan added that there will always be new social networks to outdo previous ones–though even if these theories prove to be true, Twitter appears to be the current trend.

In the words of Johnston, “Twitter is taking over.”