Read All About It

When talking with an acquaintance the other day, I was asked the most perplexing questions I have heard to date: “Have you heard of any spoilers for “Catching Fire?”

I simply told her that I had heard of a place that would basically show the plot of the entire movie, plus extras that you will not find anywhere else.  She eagerly awaited the URL.

After a few minutes of just looking at her, she still did not seem to understand what I was hinting at.  I shook my head, and told her the secret location: the library.  She looked at me as if I were insane.  “I’m not going to read!” she said.

I have never understood why people claim to be fans of certain movies but do not read the books that the films on which the films are based.  Some of my friends claim to be huge “Harry Potter” fans but could not tell you a single thing about the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare (SPEW).  People are obsessed with “The Hunger Games” but have no idea that the mockingjay pin was actually given to Katniss by an acquaintance named Madge.

If my friend really wanted to know the spoilers, she should quit complaining and read the book already.  Based on what she has told me, she’s already spent hours trying to look for behind-the-scenes footage, when she could have easily picked up the book and know 10 times more than what the movie will show.

It seems like textbooks that we are forced to read in class have ruined the reputation of reading regular books.  Have you ever felt like an actor or actress was not convincing enough?  Read the book.  The character is the product of your imagination, and (unless you have an under-active imagination) you will not be disappointed.  Did you ever feel as if the movie left something out? Read the book.  In most circumstances, the book will explain.

In my lifetime, I have more often been let down by movies than their books.  Although I am reluctant to admit, I even somewhat enjoyed the book “Twilight,” at least much more than the movie.

If you are not a fan of reading, then that is fine, but do not go around proclaiming your love for “Pride and Prejudice” and not realize the significance of the love triangle between Elizabeth, Mr. Darcy, and Mr. Wickham.  Just saying.