Game Theme Switches in Effort for Respect

An @orangerush post on Sept. 8 announced a tropical-themed football game.

The spirit theme diverted from tradition for the football game against Soldan High School on Sept. 8.

Orange Rush generally cycles through the same group of football game spirit themes from year to year. Orange-out, country, black-out, neon, camo and Hawaiian appear most consistently on Student Council’s @orangerush Instagram account since its beginnings in 2014. 

Last year, EHS hosted a Hawaiian-themed game on Sept. 16, according to an @orangerush announcement from Sept. 11. A picture of our tiger mascot wearing a grass skirt and a coconut-shell top was posted the day after the game, with the caption: “Aloha from the 618!”

And though the student section at this year’s game was full of leis and floral shirts as usual, and the announcement post had the same bright colors and beachy flowers, the theme was changed to “tropical.” 

Student Council vice-president and senior Elise Burk said that this choice is more mindful of Hawaiian culture.

“It’s the same theme technically, but calling the theme Hawaiian can be offensive and considered cultural appropriation,” she said. “Whereas, tropical demonstrates the same theme but in a respectful manner.”

Collinsville High School has made a similar decision. An Instagram account called @kahokkrazies24, announced a “luau” theme for their home-opening football game last fall. This year, the theme was switched to “beach day.”

As for the change’s effect on EHS spirit, Senior cheerleader Kate Davis said that she did not even know about the switch at the time of the game, but she does not think that it had an impact on the atmosphere of the student section.

“I do not think the atmosphere was changed,” she said. “I think everyone had great energy, even if they knew about the change or not.”

Sami McKenney
Sami McKenney, Opinion Editor
Sami McKenney is a junior, a second-year journalism student, and the opinion editor of The Claw and Tiger Times Online. She is one of two presidents of Creative Arts Club, an officer of NEHS, and a member of NHS, NFHS, French Club, and the Ethics Bowl team. Outside of school, Sami can be found almost every day at Turning Pointe Academy of Dance, either in classes or in rehearsal for its pre-professional company: Tour Dance. Additionally, she is an avid reader, cat lover, and Taylor Swift enthusiast. She hopes to pursue a career in journalism and is extremely grateful to be part of such a supportive program and capable team of staff members with whom to start her journey!