EHS Sends Junior to Poetry Out Loud

A dark stage illuminated by a heavy spotlight set the scene for this year’s Poetry Out Loud competition. As contestants from Edwardsville and Alton gave their best poetic renditions, junior Taylor Robinson out-recited them all to win first place and advance to the state competition.

Robinson recited “Alone” by Edgar Allen Poe and “Abandoned Farmhouse” by Red Kooser, missing the least amounts of points than anyone else. “It took some mean, mental practice to make it this far,” Robinson said.

Since he was 5, Robinson had been “passionately” practicing the performing arts: instruments, theatre and poetry.

“I’ve learned how to eliminate anxiety of a performance with proper preparations,” Robinson said. “Going up to the stage I was strictly business and put myself in the setting to which to poem pertained. In fact the announcer commented on my soldier like solitude as I walked to the mic before beginning.”

English Department Chair Heather Haskins, Edwardsville’s Poetry Out Loud sponsor, applauds Robinson’s performance at the regional competition. “He showcased his understanding of the poem through the appropriate use of his voice, articulation and engaging with the judges and audience,” Ms. Haskins said.

Two other EHS students, junior Mollie Cook and sophomore Emily Swanson, also competed in the regional competition. “[There was] some outstanding competition at regionals,” Ms. Haskins said.

State will be held on March 14 at 1 pm in Springfield’s Hoogland Center for Arts. This time, 18 competitors will vie for the top two spots that advance to the national competition in Washington D.C.

“I am absolutely ecstatic for State,” Robinson said. “If I were to win State, my junior year would be made.”