New Year Brings New Teachers: Bienvenue

It’s another day, another class, and another chapter in your “high school career,” but this year brings with it many fresh faces: Edwardsville has welcomed 10 new teachers to the high school.

This is the largest haul of new teachers in recent memory, so it’s a given that most students at EHS will have some type of run-in with one of the 10 new teachers. One of the new teachers teaches orchestra, two teach French, two teach math, two teach applied tech and three teach English.

This is part 1 of 5 of the “New Year, New Teachers” series.

•             •             •             •             •

With Mrs. Nancy Sellers retiring last year and Ms. Rachel Symanski teaching in the social studies department, two new French teachers have joined the foreign language department.

Meet Mr. Cedric Andreani, one of the new French teachers at EHS. A native French speaker, he teaches the French 2 and French 4 classes. After working many other jobs and teaching at another high school, Mr. Andreani began teaching here at EHS. He has only just started his second year of teaching, but that does not stop Mr. Andreani from loving the job as if he has taught his entire life.

“I love that look in the eyes of the students when they learn something new!” Mr. Andreani said. “You can see the wheels turning.”

Mr. Andreani will be sponsoring this year’s French Honor Society, French Club and the sophomore class. He enjoys playing guitar and basketball, watching movies, and spending time with his daughters. As a member of the foreign language department, he is “looking forward to be working with the foreign language department. It is a dynamic and fun group of teachers.”

His fellow French teacher is Mrs. Stephanie Olson, another native speaker, who teaches the French 1 and French 3 classes. Before coming to EHS, Mrs. Olson taught at private schools in Chicago and overseas in the United Kingdom, as well as serving in the European business sector holding bilingual positions. According to Mrs. Olson, her love for France and French culture and her desire to share what she knows have driven her teaching career.

As a new teacher, Mrs. Olson thanks the Foreign Language department for making her assimilation into EHS as seamless as possible. “I am very fortunate to work with a very supportive department,” Mrs. Olson said. “I am still adjusting to my new schedule and duties, but I am thrilled to be part of the EHS community!”

Mrs. Olson will sponsor French Honor Society, French Club and the sophomore class. Her favorite color is turquoise, and she’s a “big fan” of British comedy. She also loves “to spend time in the garden” and decorate the house that she and her husband recently bought.

Like the teachers themselves, EHS French students are adjusting themselves to the “new French.”

“I’m used to just Madame [Sellars] and Madamski [Symanski], but I’m excited to learn from a native speaker. I feel like it will be more challenging,” junior Olivia Emerson said.

Students and teachers alike are excited for the two new French teachers, including the head of the Foreign Language department herself, Mrs. Melissa Beck.

“I know they [Mr. Andreani and Mrs. Olson] are excited to work here,” Mrs. Beck said, “and they’re wonderful and pleasant to work with.”