Sad Facts about Fad Diets

In this age where tall thin models rule the runways, many people are looking for quick ways to lose weight that require little effort. 

Ads everywhere promise just that, claiming there is some conspiracy as to why no one has heard of their certain miraculous trick before, but in the long run, most of their tall tales fall short.

Many people are going to extremes to try to lose weight as quickly and painlessly as possible.  Some have even resorted to gruesome efforts like swallowing tapeworms or cutting down their calories to just 800 per day, about 400 calories less than the minimum amount suggested by the American College of Sports Medicine. 

A diet like that is very difficult to keep.  Senior Maryssa Lynn claims that her friend once tried a lemonade cleanse, where you stop eating and drink only a lemon-like concoction for two whole weeks. 

“She only made it about two days before she gave up due to hunger,” Lynn said.

“Typically a fad diet doesn’t help long term,” said Kristy Lang, a registered dietitian from Wellaware. 

“The reason is that in order to stay at a healthy weight, one has to be willing to make a lifestyle change, otherwise you go back to eating the way you did before, and regain the weight you lost,”Lang said.

According to her, “The problem is that many people believe that there is the best way to do something and a quick way to do that.”

While information is easily accessible to prove that these diets are indeed flawed, people dismiss the warnings.

Many of Lang’s customers ask to participate in an extreme weight loss program to quickly get results, and then eat healthy when they get there, but she says that they will most likely still gain the weight back.

“Anyone who engages in these fad diets believe they are the exception,” says Katie Albers, a counselor from LifeArchitect. “I try to help them realize that they are not the exception.”

The term “fad diet” often has a negative connotation. However, the term simply means “a reducing diet that enjoys temporary popularity,” according to dictionary.com.

Given this definition, fad diets are not all bad.  In fact, many professionals agree that diets such as WeightWatchers and Jenny Craig are relatively successful programs that focus on making a lifestyle change for customers to stick to for the rest of their lives rather than a temporary diet plan.

“WeightWatchers is great because you get information and social interaction,” says Albers.  “You have people to cheer you on.  Where as on Jenny Craig, you have a more individualized approach.” 

Both of these diets offer healthy alternatives to the extreme temporary diets. 

The Atkins diet has mixed responses, however.  Although the diet often has immediate success, it is reviewed to be difficult to stick with it.

“My mom and I started the Atkins diet a few weeks ago,” said senior Ryann Schussler.  “I’ve only cheated a few times, but it definitely is difficult to keep.”

There are many different ways of losing weight, but using an extreme dieting plan could not only be temporary, but also affect your health.  The easiest way to achieve your goals in the long run is a good diet paired with exercise.

“I just normally try to cut down on the sugary snacks, and exercise more when I want to lose some weight,” said senior Sheridan Dowd.  “That way, I don’t have to give up everything I like doing, and it’s easier to stick with.”