Sit Back and Enjoy the Show

Lights turned low, packed auditorium, and deafening cheers: this could be none other than EHS’s second annual talent show.

The night opened with an act unlike any ever seen on this stage before.  Lydia Carnes awed the crowd with her co-star Bella, her dog.  Although Bella was easily distracted by the hosts’ cheering, she and her owner proved to be an interesting first act.

The show was almost entirely musical after that, showcasing our students’ abilities in the fine arts.  Acts ranged from singing, to dancing, to violin playing to piano playing.  While all of the acts proved to be entertaining, a few stood out above the rest.

Over the past few years C’est la Vie has made their mark on our school and in our community by performing not only in our show and at Tigerstock, but also at Annie’s Frozen Custard and the Wildey Theater.  After last year, however, many of its members graduated, leaving only two of its members to continue their legacy.

Senior Margaret Stolte and recently-graduated Elizabeth McBride were able to continue the band’s success with their own version of Macklemore’s song “Thrift Shop.”  The song, originally performed as a rap was covered with a folksy spin.  Although unexpected, the song received a fair amount of praise after the show.

Another outstanding act was called, “The Whitest Guy You’ll Ever Meet Singing K-pop”.  Surprisingly the singer knew every word to the recent Billboard hit, Gangnam Style, although it was not the reason that it was so memorable.  During the act, the dancers called up people from the audience, as well as backstage to perform the dance with them.  At first, the audience was hesitant to carry out their request, but by the time the performance ended, about thirty people were up on the stage jiving along with them.

“[Gangnam Style] was one of the best acts,” said senior Samantha Spillers, recounting the performance.  “I was surprised that [the singer] actually knew the words.”

Gangnam Style  was not the only dance number that stood out, though.  About halfway through the show, sophomore Puja Patel preformed  a much different kind of dance.  Dressed in bright red and gold with bells hanging all over, Patel preformed a graceful, traditional Indian dance that awed the onlookers.

The final exceptional act was yet another dance number put together by the Drama Club and FLS (Functional Living Skills).  This ac consisted of about 40 people performing Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”

“We began practicing as soon as we got back from Christmas break,” says senior, drama club member Sheridan Dowd.  According to Dowd, they were uneasy about how the students would react, but were relieved when they received a standing ovation afterward.

Unfortunately it is impossible to describe all of the talented acts that took place last Thursday night.

“I’m really upset that I won’t be able to see it next year,” said senior Morgan McGinnis.