Jumping into New Trampoline Park

Morgan Goebel, Co Editor-In-Chief

A lot of buildup surrounded the opening of Glen Carbon’s new Altitude Trampoline Park. After multiple launch date delays, the park is finally up and running, and it has lived up to its hype.

Altitude has become a popular attraction for high school students seeking entertainment since it opened June 25. Christian Freeman, 20-year-old manager at Altitude, said that although the park’s patrons are of all ages, the most common jumpers are between 10 and 17 years old.

Grant Schaefer, sophomore, visited Altitude during one of its first weeks of business and intends to return with his friends soon. Schaefer, like many other high school boys, enjoyed playing dodgeball the most.

Catering to what high schoolers already like, Altitude is starting a Fall Brawl dodgeball league during September and October for anyone ages 15 and older.

For those that would rather enjoy the trampolines without the competition, Teen Nights are great times to visit the new park. On these select Saturdays from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., Altitude is only open to teenagers while EHS senior and rising DJ Ian Tegert plays music.

Students looking to earn cash instead of spend it also visit Altitude for employment. The trampoline park is one of the few establishments in the Edwardsville area that hires high school students, but Freeman said that the teenagers have proved to be valuable employees with great attitudes.

Junior Paige Way is one of the nearly a dozen EHS students who currently work at Altitude.

“I like trampolines and it seemed like a friendly place, so it was a great fit for me,” Way said.

She received a job as a front desk clerk, which entails answering phones, checking jumpers in, answering questions and scheduling parties.

Way got the job two months ago and plans to continue working at Altitude until she starts college, partly because of the job’s hours. The owners are accommodative of Way’s busy schedule, allowing her to balance school, sports and work.

While Way oversees jumpers from the front desk, senior Joel Mueller supervises them from on the trampolines as a court monitor. During his shift, he is responsible for ensuring that jumpers are following the rules and cleaning the courts at closing time.

Although Mueller said it can be difficult to get young kids to do what he tells them to do, he likes being able to work on a trampoline.

“Everyone there is fun to work with,” Mueller said. “It makes the job and customer’s experience very enjoyable.”