Is Bigger Always Better?

Hannah Willmore, Views Editor

As the lights dim, the bass begins to pump through the air as the crowd wildly cheers. The artist steps out on stage, increasing the sound of the applause and beginning the opening song. These are constants of all concerts, but having a small or large venue can completely change the experience.

Seeing a concert in a large venue typically means the artist will be mainstream and have popularity among listeners. The venue has a larger sound system and more seating compared to smaller venues.

“I prefer large venues because usually there is much more space so if/when I dance I have room to move around,” sophomore Sophie Schaefer said.

These shows tend to be more dramatic with lights, special effects and even dancers. On P!nk’s 2013 tour, she had dancers for every song, including herself, doing acrobatic work using silks and various styles of dance.

Schaefer went to the recent Gwen Stefani concert at Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre and the amazing choreography impressed her.

“It was really cool to see how talented the dancers were, even though they still gave plenty of attention to the main performer,” Schaefer said.

Small venues have their own positives. The tickets are often inexpensive because of the smaller location itself but also because most of the artists who perform there are not mainstream yet. Also, they often have closer seating and a smaller environment than large venues.

“I prefer small venues because I like the more up close feelings,” senior Ben Musec said. “I get closer to the band/artist and it feels like more of a personal experience.”

While large venues do have appeal, they have negatives as well. Decent seats are expensive and reasonably priced seats are too far away from the artist. Because of this, there is a less personal feel.

“Large venues make for a concert that is more overwhelming than most,” senior Claudia Vazquez said. “Close seats are so much harder to get and about 10 times the price as a similar seat at a smaller venue.”

The dancing and performance level which many people enjoy at large shows is often missing from those in smaller venue. The artists who perform at large venues have the popularity and confidence they need to “put on a show.”

“[The artists] have crafted their trade…they have to have a following that knows they’re good at what they do,” Vazquez said. “The artist that makes it to a larger venue is able to take an exceptionally large stage and make it their own.”

And every artist finds a way to make it their own, entertaining audiences all around the world. Concerts are a great opportunity to see musical artists live, whether it’s at The Pageant or Scottrade.

“Everyone is there for the same reason,” Musec said, “…to have a great time and listen to some great, live music.”