Increased Traffic Leads to Irritation, Accidents

Traffic in the GlenEd area has recently grown in comparison to years prior.

According to EHS SRO officer Rick Thompson, from Jan. 1 to Oct. 25, the number of traffic accidents has jumped from 881 in 2021 to 888 in 2023.

With a Chick-fil-A already in business and an Olive Garden with its walls up, many believe the Orchard Town Center is a big part of this increase. This new GlenEd development has also meant that roads like Troy and Governor’s Parkway have had to be expanded.

“The mass majority of the traffic crashes are caused by the new businesses,” officer Thompson said. “Obviously…its causing more and more cars, more and more stoplights, more and more intersections, more and more accidents.”

Senior Ella Sedabres, who’s been in accidents on these roads, said driving through town, she’s just waiting for something bad to happen.

“Many people are careless and reckless while driving,” she said. “This town has so many people and not enough space for all their cars.”

Though the accidents that happen in the parking lots and nearby roads don’t dramatically affect the rates, officer Thompson said the school traffic has been impacted by this increase as well.

Senior Bella Boyer has noticed the extra time it takes her to leave school because of this.

“I don’t know if there are more sophomores or people getting their licenses in general,” Boyer said. “But I definitely feel like it takes me an extra five minutes to get home every day, even though I have a better parking spot this year.”

However, there has been action taken against this increase. According to an Edwardsville Intelligencer article from Sept. 23, $14,460 was given to the Edwardsville from the U.S. Department of Justice’s Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant program. This money was intended for the “purchase of radar units for patrol vehicles” to improve the enforcement of traffic safety.

Although he can’t speak directly on whether the grant was helpful, officer Thompson said the Edwardsville Police Department has been putting much of their focus on traffic issues.

“There’s an emphasis on enforcing the violations that cause traffic crashes,” officer Thompson said. “Such as the cell phone use, running stoplights…stop signs and also not wearing seatbelts.”

Pera Onal
Pera Onal, Editor-in-Chief
Pera is a senior and third-year journalism student. In addition to being the editor-in-chief of Tiger Times Online and The Claw, she’s part of the EHS swim and dive team and the local club team, Metro East Titans. She is also a member of National English Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society. Outside of school, she lifeguards and gives swimming lessons at the YMCA. When she has free time, Pera likes to read, journal, and go to the movies with her friends.