Zach Bryan: ‘Let’s go to jail, I’ll do it’

AP Images
Zach Bryan performs at 2023 Windy City Smokeout Festival

Country music singer Zach Bryan was arrested for obstruction of investigation in his home state of Oklahoma on September 7th. 

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has detailed what went down during the ordeal in a probable cause affidavit. According to the document, Bryan was arrested for interfering with a traffic stop on his security guard who was pulled over for speeding. Bryan’s security guard was pulled over for traveling 78-mph in a 55-mph zone and 60 mph in a 35 mile per hour zone. 

Bryans black Ram truck pulled up alongside the officers who were conducting the traffic stop. According to the affidavit, during the stop, Bryan reportedly left his vehicle to ask why the stop was taking as long as it was and ignored an officer’s demand for him to get back inside. Bryan also stated, “I’ll go to jail. Let’s do it,” claiming his situation was why “people do not like police officers,” the document added, per NBC News and the New York Times. 

Bryan was eventually arrested and booked for the misdemeanor charge in Craig County jail and later released on $1000 bail.  

Since his arrest Bryan has apologized multiple times through his social media. In his close to five-minute narrative on the social media site, Instagram, Bryan was calm and stated many times that he “acted like a child.”  

Many students also care about the popular country music star. In a recent survey on Schoology, 24 of the 51 responders had heard of Bryan and 12 of the 51 knew the specifics of the arrest.  

“My opinion of him didn’t really change after the arrest,” Junior Aidan Jumper said when asked about his opinion of Bryan before and after the arrest.  

Several other students responded to the survey as well and voiced their support for Bryan. 

With his legal troubles seemingly behind him and the public opinion of him apparently unchanged, Bryan seems poised to continue with his 2024 “Quittin Time Tour.” 

Zach Cohn
Zach Cohn, Staff Writer
Zach is a junior and second year journalism student. He has been a member of the Edwardsville Hockey team for 4 years and is also a member of the EHS broadcasting club where he broadcasts EHS football, basketball and baseball games.