Wallows Debut Album Brings Melodies and Hooks to Spring

Molly Farrar, A&E Editor

These last few days have reminded me of how close summer is; maybe it’s the warmer weather or the beginning of the fourth quarter and less work for seniors. Maybe, it’s the new Wallows album Nothing Happens.

The indie trio released their debut album Nothing Happens on Friday, March 22, relieving fans of replaying their ten good songs over and over again (even though that’s not necessarily a bad thing). Since a bout of singles in 2017 and an EP in 2018, the band has been teasing new music for months.

Before Nothing Happens, Wallows stuck to a indie alternative sound that had a unique flare, switching vocals between members Dylan Minnette and Braeden Lemasters. With the new album, the band stretches their limits, but maybe a bit too much.

The construction of the album is more developed than a typical freshman album. The intro “Only Friend” ties to the closer “Do Not Wait” with a similar guitar motif.  “Only Friend” opens with a spring-break-going-on-summer-driving-with-your-windows-down vibe that seamlessly leads into the rest of the album, despite some shifts in mood here and there. This opening track does just that, it opens the album well without being a slow and warranting a legarthic skip each time it comes on.

“Treacherous Doctor” follows quickly with an upbeat style similar to the band’s early single “Pleaser” or “Ground” from the Spring EP.  Track 2 quickly became one of my favorites in the album, and has a catchy, distinct sound, which is reminiscent of the band’s early music.

The three singles, “Sidelines,” “Scrawny,” and “Are You Bored Yet?” are automatically recognizable songs, with “Are You Bored Yet?” becoming classic Wallows literature. Kudos to the band to releasing the three singles in order, giving fans a taste of how the album is laid out, not just the best songs.

Immediately following the three singles is “Ice Cold Pool,” which mixes up Wallows’ normal quasi-80s alternative indie rock with a catchy toe-tapper with a contagious brass hook. “What You Like” is similar to Wallows’ newfound refined style that stretches their limits, much like “Are You Bored Yet?”

Their limits may be a bit stretched with “Do Not Wait” and its long, slow closing that didn’t quite fit. However, it closes the album with class and ties in with the lyrics “nothing happens,” which elevates the album.

The opening melody of this album, with the distinct drum beats, made me think immediately, “did this release too early?” It did, but I’m glad it did. Nothing Happens is going to be the anthem of summer for fans of every form of alternative and rock, and I’m glad I have it for spring break.