Journalism Team Prevails at SISPA Competition

Anna Farrar, News Editor

The journalism team showed their strengths at the Southern Illinois Scholastic Press Association competition in Carbondale, Ill. After dominating in many submission contests, the team’s successful onsite competitions hint at what’s to come for the season.

Junior Jacqueline Glenn placed third at copy editing. She will be competing in the same category for IHSA Sectionals on April 13.

“SISPA gave us a taste of what sectionals will be like; the competitions are similar to what we will do later,” Glenn said. “Also, SISPA pumped up our team’s morale because we flexed on the other teams at the award ceremony by winning so many events.”

Senior Molly Farrar, who placed first for yearbook feature writing, also sees SISPA as a valuable tool for the rest of the season.

“We use SISPA as a chance to get really comfortable with our categories,” Farrar said. “It’s important for us to make sure that each kid is in their strongest category when it comes to sectionals, so we can ensure the maximum number of points.”

The journalism team has a strong track record. Two years ago, the team prevailed with both a sectional and state championship. Last year, though losing the sectional title, they placed runner-up at state.

“We want to show up at sectionals and do as well as we normally do,” Farrar said. “Hopefully, we can take this strong team all the way to state and maybe secure first place like we did my sophomore year.”

Senior Ryan Ash placed first in his regular category of infographics. He’s been competing within that category since his sophomore year.

“The team is definitely hungry to take the sectional title back and show the Metro East who’s boss,” Ash said. “Looking towards state, if enough people qualify at sectionals, I think we have a great chance of winning.”

According to Ash, SISPA is the boost that the team needs to be successful at the upcoming IHSA sectionals. The team is excited and hungry for a win.

“We hope to win everything we can,” Glenn said. “Maybe we’ll come back with another state plaque and make Mrs. Thrun proud.”