Frozen Epidemic Plagues EHS, Few Survive Without Chills

Jade Weber, News Editor

As the weather gets warmer and warmer, the frozen hell in which we attend school gets colder and colder, causing EHS students to undergo constant chills and aches, wardrobe confusion and frustration.

“If I’m at school for six hours a day, I’d prefer not to miserably shudder all day,” junior Shawn Shiver said.

Shiver advises avoiding certain trouble spots at EHS: the commons; any lab science classroom; and the back corner of the second floor, near Mrs. Beck’s room.

For most, the frigid air and lack of temperature control have restricted students’ wardrobe options—even on the warmest of days.

Many students step outside on warm days and believe it’s appropriate to wear shorts or summer clothing, only to amble into school and be confronted by the crisp commons air or the brisk breeze in any of the third-floor science classes.

“I wear sweaters and jeans basically all year, no matter the temperature,” senior Fiona Frost said. “I plan my outfits around the school temperature, and I’m still cold all day.”

Frost said some of her classes are so cold, her fingernails turn purple. She has recently turned to nail polish to hide it.

The chilly conditions have even become detrimental to learning.

“I have noticed many of my students are miserable while trying to pay attention in class,” science teacher Denise Draft said, who teaches on the third floor. “They sit there, helpless.”

Physics teacher Cliff Parka’s classroom is known for the cold gusts of air that flow out of it as you pass it.

“In recent years, I have brought my space heater to class,” Mr. Parka said. “It makes teaching in my classroom more tolerable.”

But some students, like senior Steven Swelter, are not easily fazed by the cool corridors of EHS and wear shorts, even on the coldest of days.

“I get used to it,” Swelter said. “My passion for summer clothing goes beyond just the temperature inside the school. I like to show off my calves.”

Most students, however, ache through the school day, longing for warmer temperatures.

“If the temperature was just a few degrees warmer,” Frost said, “my school day would be bearable.”