Black History Month: Is it Still Significant?

Jade Weber, News Editor

As February begins, celebrations of Black History Month are welcomed by some and rejected by others.

In the 41 years it has been observed by the American people, Black History Month has been praised, but it has also been shrouded by controversy.

Black History Month began in 1926 when Carter G. Woodson, co-founder of the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, declared the second week of February to be Negro History Week. Since 1976, his idea has been celebrated as Black History Month.

According to nationalcenter.org, Black History Month was created to inspire black Americans and develop awareness.

“It was about unity,” said Stacy Swimp, from the National Advisory Council of the Project 21 Black Leadership Network. “It was not a basis for ethnocentric pride and cultural divide – the path radical black Americans on the left have pursued over the past few decades.”

Senior Devonte Tincher thinks Black History Month has accelerated the “cultural divide.”

“I honestly think Black History Month is a joke,” senior Devonte Tincher said. “Black History Month won’t end any type of racial barrier or even make situations any better for blacks in America.”

Many celebrities and public figures have also voiced their opinions about the month-long celebration. Black actress Stacey Dash has called to eliminate Black History Month, labeling it a vestige of segregation, and Republicans in Kansas questioned if an entire month for black history was too long.

But according to Regina Edmondson, assistant director of the Office of Student Life at Community College of Aurora, Black History Month still holds importance.

“By reliving and remembering history, we create awareness of the struggles and challenges that African Americans overcame in this country,” Edmondson said. “Black History Month is an integral part of our nation’s tradition in which we continue to promote positive examples of poignant historical events, exemplary leaders and steps towards societal change.”

But black history is still excluded in mainstream education, according to The Atlantic. In 2014, 20 states received failing grades on a test of how well their public schools taught the civil-rights era, and five states had civil-rights education missing from their state standards.

Tincher believes Black History month isn’t the solution and isn’t effective in creating awareness and promoting change. He said black history should be integrated with history classes and not be avoided.

“I don’t feel empowered by this month, and it does absolutely nothing to help the outside world,” Tincher, said. “We don’t have a Jewish History Month, a White History Month or even a Brazilian History Month, so why do we have a Black History Month?

“Black History Month is American history, and that’s plain and simple.”