New Year, New Laws for the State of Illinois

As of Jan 1, 2014, over 200 laws were put into effect in the state of Illinois. From new rules behind the wheel to a change in age requirements, the new year means changes for many people in the Land of Lincoln.

Illinois followed in the footsteps of about a dozen other states when it began to enforce a new law on the road: the ban of handheld devices for motorists.

Although texting while driving was already prohibited, Illinois took it a step further. Gov. Pat Quinn passed this law in an effort to push drivers to be more responsive and attentive behind the wheel. “Too many Illinois families have suffered because of accidents that could have been prevented,” Quinn said in an interview with the Chicago Tribune.

Senior Katherine Kuhl fully supports this law. “I think it’s a good idea. Its purpose is to help us be aware and it’s very necessary,” Kuhl said. “A lot of accidents happen just from not paying attention.”

Drivers aren’t completely prohibited from communication—they can carry on conversations, as long as it’s through hands-free technology such as Bluetooth, speakerphone or a headset. If hands-free isn’t an option, pulling over is the best alternative.

Violation of this law could mean a ticket starting at $75. Further offenses might cost up to $150 or maybe even a driver’s license suspension. “If you get stopped three times in one year, you can lose your license,” State Rep. John D’Amico said in an interview with ABC News. “We figured we had to put some teeth in the bill if we want to correct the problem.”

Prior to a new law regarding the age for voting, it was required to be 18 to even vote in a primary election. This year, however, teens are eligible to vote in the March primary if they will be 18 come the November election.

According to Cook Country Clerk David Orr, the goal was to give teens early experience. “Experience shows that when young people, particularly teens, get involved early, they tend to stay involved for the rest of their lives,” Orr said in an interview.  

“Allowing 17-year-olds to vote really provides a more fair look into what the state elections in the fall will look like,” senior Jacob Veitch said. Veitch will turn 18 in April, therefore he was really excited about his ability to vote in the primary. “I live for politics and I can’t wait to take part in the election process.”

Some are worried there could be drawbacks in allowing minors to vote, though. “Teens who choose to vote without taking time to become truly informed have the ability to skew results,” Veitch said, “but theoretically this law is a win for the state, best representing the views of the voting public.”

After a large amount of talk and approval by many states, Illinois has passed the use of medical marijuana. However, there are many restrictions.

There are only a few medical conditions that require the drug as a prescription. Even if a patient qualifies, the doctor must have a personal relationship with them and can only prescribe two and a half ounces over a two-week span. Those who do qualify will need to wait a couple of months while the management of the marijuana is closely watched.

“There are going to be people out there who are going to abuse it,” senior Louisa Lecroy said. “It’s kind of a double-edged sword, and I’m not sure what to think about it.”

Another controversial law has been enforced starting the first of the year: the ban of tanning for anyone under 18. Up until this year, 16 and 17-year-olds could tan with parental consent. Now, it is illegal for anyone—parental consent or not.

Illinois followed in the tracks of five other states when enforcing this law in an effort to prevent skin cancer due to harmful radiation. It has received both positive and negative feedback.

“I do feel like banning kids from tanning won’t make it any safer for when they’re an adult,” Lecroy said. “If your parent gives consent then I think it should be okay.”

Senior John Hanfelder is in agreement with this law. “It’s been proven that it’s harmful,” he said, “and when girls fry themselves in a tanning bed, it doesn’t even look good.”

These, along with many other laws, have already changed the lifestyle for many Illinois citizens. Only time will tell what kind of effect they will have on our state as a whole.

Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas, Views Editor
Hannah Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Views editor for Tiger Times and The Claw. She loves blogging and photography along with her job at Edison's Entertainment Complex. Hannah enjoys country music and horror movies and is a fan of any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Being a member of Yearbook Club and National Honor Society, her goal is to leave one last mark on her school this year before going off to college. She hopes to be able to hold onto her tiger pride by attending the University of Missouri to major in journalism. Hannah hopes to make her senior year as memorable as possible and loves meeting new people. Get to know her!