Pickleball Club Presidents are Serving Up a Good Time

AP Images
A group of students play pickleball in the park.

In the realm of extracurriculars that exist at EHS, juniors Katie Szymula and Rylie Nelson have added another to the mix: pickleball club. 

“Katie and I decided to form a pickleball club because we felt it was something that a lot of people would have interest in,” Nelson said. “We felt that the club would be a great way to play pickleball and meet new people. With both [of us] having interest in pickleball, we decided to give the club a go.”

The duo started playing pickleball back in middle school and have loved it ever since. As the sport gained popularity, the construction of Plummer Park’s courts made the duo’s vision a reality. 

“The biggest struggle we have had forming the club has been finding court space,” Nelson said. 

But once they finally worked out consistent court space at Plummer Park, another problem arose: cold weather. 

“At first we were holding the club at Plummer Park, but as the weather got colder, we moved to the YMCA to play indoors,” Szymula said.  

Competing with both the EHS boys and girls tennis teams, the club has managed to get court time once a week, indoors at the Meyer Center YMCA, and will continue practices for their ever-growing group.

“There has been a ton of interest in the club,” Nelson said. “The club has an abundance of members and is growing.”

According to Nelson, pickleball’s appeal comes from the fact that it’s novel and doesn’t require much prior experience to enjoy. 

“I enjoy pickleball so much because it is a sport that all my friends can enjoy with me,” Szymula said. “I love how it is easy to access and is a sport that everyone can participate in.”

Veda Kommineni
Veda Kommineni, Staff Writer
Veda Kommineni is a first-year journalism student but has spent three years on the yearbook staff. Outside of class, Veda plays varsity tennis for Edwardsville, does robotics, and is the editor-in-chief- of the yearbook. Her favorite classes have always been relating to literature, and she can't wait to pursue journalism.