Students Stick Up For Food Pantry

Nearly 50 Student Council and National Honors Society members spread out across the streets of Edwardsville Oct. 24 to advertise their annual Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods food drive benefiting the Glen-Ed Pantry.

Members posted flyers and encouraged residents of neighborhoods on Meridian Road to put items such as canned goods, toiletries and cleaning supplies on their front porches so that the two groups can collect them Oct. 31.

“[Helping with the drive] means a lot personally because there are people who [are] in our community who cannot obtain basic needs without the help of the food pantry,” said senior and Student Council volunteer officer Chase Chrenka. “[We’re] able to make a strong impact for our community and I enjoy being a part of that impact.”

The food pantry feels that impact, receiving several hundred pounds in donations in last year’s drive, according to Jane Ahasay of the Glen-Ed Pantry.

“These donations are essential to the operation of the Pantry, as we depend on community donations to stock our food shelves,” Ahasay said.

She also said that the drive is “one of the larger donations” the pantry receives throughout the year.

Senior Jacob McKey, Student Council president and NHS officer, partnered with senior Grace Taylor, also a member of NHS, to organize the event.

“I met with [Taylor] and we just kind of worked out what sections [we would take],” McKey said.

Taylor oversaw the NHS committee that helped the Student Council plan the event. Including Taylor, 12 NHS members posted flyers.

“It’s nice contributing to the food pantry,” Taylor said. “Especially since they are always in need of food.”

Chrenka agrees, citing the “great outcome” toward the community as a reason why she likes the event.

Junior Student Council member Sean Henson, who participated in his first Trick-or-Treat drive this year, said that this is one of the largest impacts he has had on the area while part of Student Council.

“I feel great privilege to be able to do something like this,” Henson said, “because at this point in my tenure I [haven’t] done anything that would help the entire community like this has the potential to.”

Ahasay said that the pantry appreciates the student’s efforts.

“To know that the young people in this community care so much about the health and welfare of their neighbor, that they take time to go out and put signs on doors … this makes a long-lasting impression on all of us at the Pantry,” Ahasay said.

According to Ahasay, EHS has been partnering with the food pantry since before she started to work there.

“I am very proud of the Student Council for their dedication toward helping our community,” Chrenka said. “It’s really nice to be a part of a club that is geared toward bettering the lives of others.”

Zach Kennett
Zach Kennett, Sports Editor
Zach Kennett is a first-time journalism student and first-time member of the Claw. He currently serves as the co-editor-in-chief of The Tiger, which is the school’s yearbook. He formerly served as the managing editor. He has also won two sectional titles in scholastic journalism, with one being in news writing and the other being in sports writing. Zach enjoys spending his (dwindling) free time with his dogs, playing video games, cooking or driving his truck, Hank. Being a member of the Claw is important to him in that he was previously mentored by former Claw members and looks forward to leaving his mark on the publication.