Students Scavenge for Volunteering during COVID-19

Cassi Reaka, Editor-in-Chief

With limited in person contact, finding opportunities to volunteer has been difficult for those who want to and those who need to. Members of honors societies and other organizations that require volunteer hours have had to get creative with ways to meet their requirements. 

National Honor Society (NHS) cut the normal requirements of 30 volunteer hours to just 15, to make it more accessible to meet during the pandemic. They have also provided members with volunteer opportunities throughout the year.

“Most years, NHS members are responsible for finding their own volunteer opportunities and getting all their hours in without the help of officers,” NHS President Sarah Lange said. “However, we knew going into this year that it would be more difficult so we’ve given members volunteer opportunities as well as the opportunity to find their own.”

Members had the opportunity to volunteer for the Glen Ed Food Pantry and as poll workers on election day.

“We knew going into this year that it would be more difficult so we’ve given members volunteer opportunities as well as the opportunity to find their own,” Lange said. “A lot of places in the community aren’t accepting new volunteers, so we understand the difficulty.”

Finding ways to give back while being socially distanced has been challenging for these organizations. 

National English Honor Society (NEHS) has also reduced its requirements and provided members with chances to gain hours from a safe distance. Members have been able to write quotes to spread positivity and write letters to grade schoolers, essential workers and senior citizens.

Fully remote students, like senior Haley Gebauer have taken advantage of these projects to gain hours without putting themselves at risk.

“I would prefer to complete volunteer hours remotely, and that has been difficult during the pandemic,” Gebauer said. “I have gotten some hours through writing pen pal letters to both a second grader and a senior citizen, and donating items to families in need.”

Edwardsville Township’s website suggests getting involved through organizations that offer remote volunteering. They promote Alone, an organization that provides companionship to the elderly through weekly phone calls.

While it may seem more convenient, distanced volunteering and virtual volunteering opportunities have proven difficult to come by.

“Students definitely aren’t as motivated when everyone is behind a screen,” Lange said. “We want members to feel involved as much as possible, especially this year. So if they have committee ideas or volunteer opportunities that can be shared with the other members, we encourage them to reach out to any officer they can! If we get ideas, the officers discuss them as a group and then send them out to all of our members.”