Students Adjust to e-Learning

Jacqueline Glenn, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Instead of shuffling from classroom to classroom, many students across the country now relocate themselves from their beds to their couches. 

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced on March 13 that all Illinois schools would be closed from March 17-31, and he has since extended the closure to April 30, according to CBS. 

During this time, schools are encouraged to implement online programs so that students can continue to learn. Many EHS teachers have used resources such as Schoology and Zoom for this purpose.

While he enjoys the freedom to work at his own pace, freshman Maddox Karnes said that e-Learning has its drawbacks. 

“I prefer in-person instruction from a teacher rather than digital notes, and I find the teaching in person helps me retain the things we are learning about. On top of that, I really miss seeing people,” Karnes said. “I couldn’t fathom having to be by myself as much as I have been with the e-Learning. I absolutely love the environment a school offers rather than my living room.”

The assignments given during the closure may not affect student grades, according to the Illinois State Board of Education’s website. This means that students can choose to do some of the work, all of the work or none of the work. As of now, the fourth quarter of the school year has started without grades entered in Tigerview.

So motivation to complete all her assignments, senior Jackie Benson said, has been a challenge when it comes to the new arrangement. But she finds it important to keep up with her studies anyway. 

“Newsflash to anyone who hasn’t considered it: you probably don’t have a single grade in for the quarter, or not many, aside from those acquired after e-Learning began,” Benson said. “So, having that in mind, I’d want to get stuff in, especially since what happens in the coming months is up in the air.”

Benson misses her teachers especially—she barely got the chance to say goodbye. 

“The last day that we were present at school was hardly a last day at all; it was preoccupied with worry and scrambling to set things up for students. 

“I’m referring to the last day as a temporary one, yes, but of course there’s a possibility that it actually will be our last day,” Benson said. “As a senior, it’d be disappointing for it to end up like that, and to have my last day at school be so confused and uncertain.”