Choir Students Benefit from Smaller Groups

Cassi Reaka, Editor-in-Chief

The EHS fine arts department is filled with many opportunities for students from competing in contests to putting on concerts. For students that wish to be more involved in choir, however, there are many options of extra groups to be a part of.

The Bel Canto is a small all women’s choir group, according to senior Alex McCall. They sing many different genres and perform at shows all around Edwardsville.

“It is different because we get more one on one time with Ms. Ottwein and we are all very close to each other,” McCall said.

All members of the group were required to try out in the fall and they practice on Tuesdays after school, according to McCall.

“My favorite part about being in Bel Canto is building friendships and learning more about music and the meaning behind it,” McCall said. “I also love performing for other people and making them happy.”

Senior Caleb Kelahan is a member of the Acafellaz, an all male group of the choir. Much like the Bel Canto, the Acafellazs rehearse once a week and perform at community events.

While Kelahan enjoys choir, he feels that also being in a smaller group is beneficial.

“Being in a smaller group requires a different level of delicacy and specialty,” Kelahan said. “You have to be able to work with the few people you have and be able to blend well together as a group.”

Bel Canto and the Acafellaz join forces every April for a concert at the Wildey, Kelahan said.

Kelahan, along with Junior Emily Amick, is also a member of the chamber choir, one of the advanced classes offered to choir students. 

Unlike the Bel Canto and the Acafellaz which are extracurricular, chamber is a class that sophomores, juniors and seniors can audition to be a part of. 

“The biggest difference is just the choir size and the more advanced music,” Amick said. “In chamber usually there’s two to four people singing your part with you. There is a lot more one on one work and focusing on blending as a small ensemble.”

This smaller group size allows for the members to form close relationships, according to Amick. 

“There is not one person in chamber that doesn’t feel like family to me,” Amick said. “Everyone is super supportive of one another.”