Science Club Sparks Interest

Emily Kloostra, Staff Writer

Armed with liquid nitrogen and a passion for knowledge, Science Club is for students interested in, well, science.

The club meets on Tuesdays in science teacher Marvin Allen’s room and has different activities each week, according to club president senior Connor McNabnay.

“We made fake snow, which is like a polymer that absorbs water and that kind of thing,” McNabnay said. “That’s what we do on a weekly basis.”

According to Mr. Allen, the activities are student-oriented.

“Whatever the kids want to do, you know, experiment wise, we do,” he said. “So for example, they wanted today to have a paper tower building competition.”

Sophomore Meera Bharati joined the club after catching the science bug from TV shows like NOVA on PBS.

“Science club also seemed like it would be fun with the multitude of events we do,” Bharati said.

Although the events include paper airplane throwing, alka seltzer rockets and mini-crystal gardens, the favorite activity of both McNabnay and Bharati is something a little sweeter.

“Every Halloween we do a bunch of liquid nitrogen stuff and at the end of it we make ice cream,” McNabnay said.

Members study the reactions of ping-pong balls and other objects with the liquid nitrogen before freezing the creamy concoctions, according to Bharati.

“The ice cream always turns out really nicely,” she said. “It’s also really fun for everyone to collaborate to make the ice cream.”

Along with activities after school, the club does outreach with the elementary school science programs, including a science night.

“We lead a bunch of different stations, we’ll do demos, we’ll have kids do hands-on science,” Mr. Allen said. “It’s an opportunity for little kids to have fun with science and an opportunity for our kids to have some experience teaching little kids.”

McNabnay participates in the science nights and also judges science fair projects at Cassens.

“I really do like the volunteer work because the kids are so, like, wowed,” he said. “It’s nice to see that. They’re like, ‘woah how’d you do that?’”