Students Set Goals for the New Year

Cassi Reaka, Editor-in-Chief

With the New Year comes an opportunity for a fresh start that many people take advantage of by creating New Year’s resolutions.

According to The Odyssey Online, self-reflection is what makes resolutions so beneficial.

“Once we decide that we need to change something, creating a resolution allows us to challenge ourselves to change in the upcoming year,” The Odyssey said.

Junior Morgan Marshall made a New Year’s resolution to drink less soda because of its negative health effects.

Marshall does not typically make resolutions but wanted to better herself this year. She has been successful in following through on her goal by keeping soda out of her house.

Junior Lydia Donaldson’s resolution is to save money and spend it wisely.

“I realized that even though I got a paycheck every two weeks, I never had enough money if I wanted to buy something a little more expensive,” Donaldson said.

Donaldson said that she tries to make New Year’s resolutions every year, even if they are not major.

“I think everyone should make small goals that they are sure they can achieve,” Donaldson said. “Completing goals is a great way to feel happier because it gives people a sense of fulfillment.”

Although some goals can be simple to track progress on, others are more subjective, such as Freshman Morgan Viehman’s resolution.

“I am hoping to surround myself with people that make me my best self,” Viehman said.

Junior Kyle Smith set a resolution to work harder in school, but said that he creates goals for himself year round.

“It’s definitely important to make goals,” Smith said. “Every year I make a few resolutions, some work and some don’t, but then I also set goals for myself throughout my sports seasons and try to push myself to reach them.”

New Year’s resolutions push people to reflect back on their year and give them a chance to better themselves.

“I think that if you really want to do something you’ll do it somehow,” Marshall said, “but New Year’s is a great place to start.”