Saturday Scholars Program Provides Broad Learning Experiences

Emily Kloostra, Staff Writer

Three lectures. Three experts. Three chances to learn.

Through 90-minute lectures for three Saturdays in February, the Saturday Scholars Program introduces students to different careers and experiences.

The sessions offered this year include topics such as geospatial intelligence, creating medicine from plants and the life of a cartoon artist and author.

Freshman Selin Aktuna said that she is most excited for the lecture titled “Next Generation Geospatial Intelligence.”

“It seems more interesting than the others,” Aktuna said. “Satellites and anything having to do with space have always interested me.”

Aktuna isn’t the only student interested in the lecture; senior Anna Marie Buss said that she has always been interested in space, and she plans to major in aerospace engineering.

“I hope to have a career at NASA or another government agency potentially working on technology used for geospatial intelligence, so I am very excited for that one,” Buss said.

Science teacher and Saturday Scholar sponsor Amanda Arteberry emphasized the experiences the program provides.

“I think it gives [students] an opportunity to see something that they wouldn’t see,” Mrs. Arteberry said, “or hear someone talk about something that maybe they’re interested in.”

In her fourth year as a participant, Buss said the lectures and success of the speakers drew her to the program.

“I loved the experience as I learned a lot from them and was inspired by what some of them had to say,” Buss said.

While Aktuna does not yet know what she wants to do for a career, she believes that the lectures could help her decide what type of job she wants.

“It seemed like a very interesting opportunity to learn more about STEM things,” Aktuna said, “and just learn in general.”

Mrs. Arteberry encourages students to go in with an open mind, as an initial glance at the lecture title does not fully explain what the speakers will talk about.

These lectures can solidify students’ choices, according to Mrs. Arteberry,  by providing a unique way of learning.

“They’re learning things that maybe they’re never going to hear in a normal classroom.”