Students Jump Headfirst Into AP Classes

Emily Kloostra, Staff Writer

The first week of school this year included all of the typical elements: syllabuses, Dr. Cramsey’s class speeches and getting-to-know-you games. For some AP students, however, tests, quizzes and lots of homework were also on the list.

Advanced Placement (AP) classes offer college level courses to students in high school, making for a different experience than some are used to.

“Courses such as AP Chemistry or Calc BC have to fit an entire college year into less than a high school year, which causes the pace to be much faster than a high school class,” senior Joshua Harris said.

The classes did not take a break for the first week, according to junior Abby Liu.

“I had a test in AP Chemistry and AP Calc BC and a quiz in AP Microeconomics,” Liu said.

Pacing isn’t the only thing that differs from non-AP classes. Harris says that while lectures are more common than in other classes, they are not meant to teach the recitation of information.

“The classes are more geared towards the conceptual side of topics which push the students, including myself, to learn how to change the theoretical into applying concepts,” he said.

Liu said much the same and that the learning style of AP classes is not traditional.

“You’re required to learn some new material on your own time rather than the teacher teaching you everything you need to know,” she said.

Senior Natalie Loveridge is taking five AP courses at EHS and three online this year, and says the key to managing the classes is to like the subjects.

“I love how the AP classes are fast paced. We never linger on a subject for too long; it’s always one new thing after another…” she said. “I spend multiple hours a day doing homework and studying for tests, but I enjoy it.”

Liu also enjoys her classes, despite the work they require.

“I think my AP classes are difficult,” Liu said. “but I still like the classes because they are subjects I am interested in.”