Clash of the Local Ice Creams: What Do Students Prefer?

Kate Lickert, Staff Writer

With the weather warming up and local ice cream shops opening for spring, it’s time to indulge in some delicious dairy desserts.

According to the International Dairy Foods Association, April is when ice cream sales begin to increase with June and July being the busiest months for ice cream production, and the Edwardsville area is no exception.

The debate about where to get the best local ice cream has been going on for years and although there is no bad choice, everyone seems to have a favorite.

For senior Kyle Meehan Annie’s Frozen Custard is best.

“It’s an Edwardsville Classic,” Meehan said. “If you want a concrete you have to go to Annie’s”

Annie’s has been in Edwardsville for 22 years and now has two locations. People love for Annie’s for its famous concretes and flavor of the week. Every week Annie’s chooses a new flavor to spotlight and flavors range from peach to mint chip to cake batter and salted caramel.

Annie’s also serves classic hot dogs and chili dogs during the summer

However, senior AJ Robertson doesn’t believe Annie’s is the best place to eat ice cream.

“There aren’t enough options and it’s too expensive,” Robertson said.

Robertson prefers Northside Dairy Haven. Not only does he think the ice cream is better, but it’s also “dirt cheap.”

Senior Samantha Boyer agrees with Robertson that Northside is “hands down” the best.

“Northside is my favorite because I love the orange and vanilla or the chocolate and vanilla twist,” Boyer said.

The orange and vanilla twist is a staple at Northside.

“The sherbet is homemade and offers a very rich flavor,” said Bill Roseberry a food critic from the Intelligencer.

Northside by far has the largest selection of menu items, from ice cream to hot dogs to cheeseburgers to even fried okra. But the best thing on their menu is their French fries.

“Their fries are absolute heaven,” senior Emily Anderson said. “And it goes great with their ice cream.”

Finally we have Bobby’s Frozen Custard in Maryville.

“Bobby’s is the best,” junior Bryson Maedge said. “They have really good ice cream and the cutest staff.”

Bobby’s is known for its traditional method of freezing which leads to a richer and creamier taste. The custard is fed through into the freezing barrel and forced into the dipping container, where it is served fresh from the machine.

Aside from the delectable homemade ice cream, Bobby’s has some of the best concretes and sundaes. Their turtle sundae/concrete is one of their most popular items on the menu along with their Reese’s concrete.

“Their Reese’s and vanilla concrete is better than everyone else’s,” senior Josh Ohl said.

Bobby’s also serves caramel apples which are served all year round. Bobby’s sells their caramel apples in more than 200 retail outlets combined in Illinois and Missouri.

“Tart, crisp granny smith gives way to gooey caramel and meaty pecans in Bobby’s go-to caramel-pecan apple,” Mabel Suen told Feast Magazine. “But a double-dip option is also available with a dual layer of sticky caramel.”

Luckily, no matter what your favorite place is, Edwardsville has no shortage of good ice cream.