Does a Prickly Pear a Day Keep the College Board Away? PSAT Memes Flood the Internet

Ryan Stewart, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The PSAT is an optional test taken by juniors to help prepare them for the SAT. But it also serves another purpose: flooding the internet with 1 million memes (in case you didn’t know 1 million = 1,000,000.)

Since memes are such a universal medium for comedy these days, it only makes sense that they would cover whatever’s current.

However, is this batch of PSAT memes more trouble than they’re worth?

Students sign their names pledging they will not divulge information about the contents of the test after taking it. A pledge signed without much consideration it seems. However, are there any real consequences? According to the College Board, which administers the test, not really.

“While the College Board is taking active measures to safeguard the testing and scoring process, the vast majority of recent postings do not reveal specific test content or answers,” The Huffington Post reported.

Seeing that Twitter is one of the most popular platforms to reach young people, as well as a place abundant with memes, the College Board uses their own Twitter account to talk on the subject.

“Please create memes responsibly – don’t share test content,” the College Board tweeted. While this may seem like the normal message from a corporation trying to sternly inform students, they also included their own meme to try and connect with students using a language they are fluent in.

In essence, the College Board is striving to use Twitter to tell students not to break the conditions of the test they’ve taken, but in a non-threatening and positive way.