StuCo Announces ‘Dancing With the Stars’

Jessica Fosse, Life Editor

“Dancing with the Stars,” but minus the celebrity competitors, tough judges and professional-level dancing is what Student Council presented as this year’s homecoming theme.

StuCo doesn’t pick the theme out of thin air; the process of deciding what could work and what couldn’t began in early summer.

That’s right. StuCo meets during the summer.

“We all sat down and shared our ideas,” junior Meredith Stump said. “We discussed the themes… We then voted on all the options leaving us with six and split into groups. Each group made a presentation on one of the themes to present to all of student council.”

After weeks of discussion, “Dancing with the Stars” was the winner. But did StuCo choose to move the event back a week?

According to StuCo sponsor Melissa Beck, homecoming is planned around the football game schedule in order to have a home game. The week of homecoming events starts Oct. 9 and the dance is the night of Oct. 13.

Beginning the week on Tuesday Oct. 9, there will be the annual dodgeball tournament and on Wednesday, the homecoming parade will take place in downtown Edwardsville. The week ends with the movie “Space Jam” showing on the football field as well as a bonfire behind the school on Thursday and the homecoming football game on Friday.

EHS has seen all of the events this year in homecoming weeks of past years and for good reason. StuCo keeps the traditions because they are successful.

“They do pretty well in terms of turn out,” Stump said. “If we try something new and it doesn’t end up being very popular we will change it up and that was mostly done years ago. We’ve just stuck with it.”

And ending the week on Saturday night is the homecoming coronation at 6 p.m. and dance at 7 p.m. Tickets are soon to be sold for $25 each during every lunch period.

For sophomore StuCo member Amal Rizvi, she knows that the unveiling of the decorating will be worth all the effort.

“Seeing all of our work that we’ve accomplished over the past months is something really exciting.”