EPIC Tailgate Hopes for Large Turnout

Molly Farrar, A&E Editor

Looking for free food before the football game? Free giveaways? The Edwardsville Peer Influence Club hosts its yearly EPIC Tailgate this Friday Oct. 20 from 5 to 6:30 on Circle Drive.

EPIC co-sponsor Missi Sanders is using the Tailgate to promote the club’s message.

“Our mission is to provide a safe alternative for kids to do activities in a drug-free, alcohol-free and violence-free zone,” Ms. Sanders said.

The Tailgate will have free hot dogs and chips, along with some games. Senior Mary Arth, a leader in EPIC and an organizer of the Tailgate, is ready for Friday night and a fun time.

“At every tailgate we give out something cool to the first 200 students that come, and this year we are giving out orange boom sticks that say ‘Edwardsville Tigers,’” Arth said. “I’m excited to see how everyone likes it.”

At 6:15, the last Tiger Prowl begins, marking the end of the football season for Edwardsville and confetti night. With a popular night like this one, Ms. Sanders is glad for the opportunity to provide a safe environment for students.

“(EPIC is trying to convey that) kids can go out and have a good time without partaking in drugs and alcohol,” Ms. Sanders said.

Senior EPIC counsel member Justin Schulz is proud of creating a safe option for students at EHS.

“The best part about EPIC counsel is probably that I get to be a part of an elite group of individuals who, as a group, can create safe and fun events that our students can go to and make great decisions and still have tons of fun,” he said.

The tailgate this Friday is open to all students. Ms. Sanders and the rest of EPIC is inviting each student from EHS to come out and have a good time.

As the season comes to a close, Arth hopes students can look back on these fun football games and remember, especially the next morning.

“We overall just want to give the students a positive alcohol (-free) and drug-free event to do before a big game,” Arth said. “I hope they find fun and something that they will remember in the future.”