Creativity Counts for Students at the Edwardsville Art Fair

Joshua Perry, Co-Editor-In-Chief

You wouldn’t expect a teenage artist to make much money, or any at all. But student artists now have the chance to make some bank with their brushes, and support the community as well.

At the annual Edwardsville Art Fair, people from around the area will have the chance to examine and purchase artwork from southern Illinois artists, including EHS students, and partake in the festivities Friday and through the weekend at the Edwardsville Library.

A tent at the fair will represent EHS’ artists, according to senior Sydney Balding, the National Art Honor Society president. It will be staffed by student volunteers.

“The AP tent is where the (AP Art) students and the artists here will show off their artwork,” Balding said. “They can even sell it—they can sell original pieces or even prints of things. That’s a good opportunity for them to get into the business, I guess you could say.”

Ms. Spinka, the teacher sponsor of NAHS, said that volunteering at the fair gives her students valuable experience.

“It basically teaches them what it takes to be an artist and sell your work: how to set things up, how to price things, how to talk with people,” Ms. Spinka said. “And it gives them a sense of pride to show their work.”

Senior Kayla Gluntz, the NAHS vice president, said that the art fair is one big way the organization brings art to the Edwardsville community and gets support in return.

“I think it’s a way to give back,” Gluntz said. “Helping the community makes us feel better, but  (NAHS) also gets a lot of attention; people are more willing to support it if they know that good artwork is coming out of it.”

Ms. Spinka hopes that other EHS kids will come to enjoy the event, or at least to see the work of their fellow students.

“Everybody supports sports; why can’t they support the arts?” Ms. Spinka said.

Balding said she encourages her peers to go, even if they aren’t artists, to learn about the art and have fun.

“I just hope it’s as big of a deal to regular high school students as it is to everyone in the art community,” she said. “Because for us, it’s a pretty big deal.”