Local Families Advocate Natural Disaster Preparedness

Devin Johnson, Staff Writer

With hurricanes Harvey and Irma damaging the southern states, it is only natural for citizens nationwide to think about their own natural disaster preparedness.

Whether it be a hurricane, a tornado or even a wildfire, people need to be ready for whatever disaster they may face.

Sophomore Katherine Foster and her family, though they are landlocked, strongly believe that having a disaster kit in their home at all times is a must.

“We do live in Tornado Alley,” Foster said. “Watching all this stuff with Irma has really freaked my parents out. They think that it never hurts to be prepared for what may come.”

Families like Foster’s have reacted similarly. Though the hurricane isn’t likely to affect the Midwest, it is a reminder of what things look like at their worst.

Last year, the state of Illinois had 45 tornado warnings. While such warnings are sometimes false alarms for families like the Fosters, they feel they are on the safe side keeping a kit for emergencies.

Another local family, the Mgues, also keep the worst in mind in order to keep their family’s best interest.

Even though they are a safe distance from the storm, their eyes have been warily aimed at the television.

“We have canned foods, a flashlight, water, matches and even extra pairs of shoes,” Jane Mgue said. “You never know what you’ll need in an emergency.”