The Loop Attracts High School Students

Devin Johnson, Staff Writer

There is no shortage of activities in Edwardsville, Illinois. A fan of coffee could frequent Main Street locations such as 222 Artisan Bakery or Sacred Grounds, while a fan of theatre could attend the Wildey Theater for concerts and films or the local AMC for more recent releases.

However, for the younger citizens of Edwardsville, the town’s low key atmosphere simply does not satisfy their desires.

“The Loop is super cool and a sweet place for hipsters to hang out,” said senior Gillian Murphy. “It’s always got street music, which is awesome.”

The sector of St. Louis (along Delmar Boulevard,) known as The Loop has newly become a popular visiting spot for students. According to Murphy, part of the appeal is the new restaurants and venues that have developed in recent years.

Classic restaurants such as Fitz’s and Thai 101 remain favorites in the area, but newcomers such as Snow Factory Roll Ice Cream and Three Kings are a large reason high schoolers have been so recently attracted to The Loop.

It isn’t just the food which is attracting students, it’s also the entertainment. Theatres and music halls such as the Tivoli and Delmar Hall offer concerts, movie showings, and special events that can only be found in the area.

“My friends and I go to the Tivoli for midnight showings all the time,” said senior Addie Lopez. “Seeing stuff at the Wildey is fun and all, but the city has so much life.”

And it indeed may be that life which draws teenagers farther from Edwardsville entertainment, and more towards that of The Delmar Loop.