“Juice-Gate”

CJ Carpenter, Staff Writer

Students who are familiar with purchasing their lunches here at school have encountered some changes to the system.

As of the beginning of the school year, the standard price of lunch has increased from $2.30 to $2.40.

“We were required by law to increase the price of lunch this year,” said principal Dennis Cramsey, refuting any claims that the school decided to simply “make more money.” The school follows federal guidelines for the cost of lunch set by the Illinois State Board of Education’s National School Lunch Program.

In addition to the price increase, apple juice and orange juice are no longer available for purchase in the cafeteria at lunch.

Director of Food Services John Martin says that the missing juice is the only menu item they have removed, and the absence of juice is part of a push for better eating habits.

“We want kids to eat more fruit,” he said.  “Juice isn’t the healthiest option we had available.”

He also said the district’s lunch program called for a “reimbursable meal,” consistent of an entrée, grain, fruits, vegetables, and milk. “Milk is a primary part of that ideal meal,” he said, “so we prioritized it over juice.”

Some students, such as senior Drew Brinkman, are having difficulty adjusting.

“I am raging about the juice deficit,” said Brinkman, who has bought his lunch from the school every day since freshman year. “I have the utmost respect for the cafeteria staff, but it was nice to be able to wash down a meal with a more fluid beverage than milk, which is milky.”

“I’m confused and conflicted,” said junior Christopher Myers. “Where’s the juice?”

Despite student backlash, Martin remains firm in his stance.

“It’s not designed to take away,” he said.  “it’s designed to encourage healthier eating.”