EHS Performs ‘Celebration’ at State Theatre Festival

Every four years, special people visit EHS with a special task at hand. With clipboards in their hands and the task on their minds, they sit down in our auditorium, make themselves comfortable and prepare themselves to do one thing—judge EHS drama club’s performance.

This year, drama club impressed the judges of the Illinois High School Theatre Festival with the play “Celebration.” Drama scored well enough to launch itself to the state theatre festival. Many students were amazed when they heard where they were headed.

“I was so excited for the opportunity,” junior Maddie Litterest said. “I was really proud of everyone involved because of the amount of work that we put into the show to have the opportunity to go to state.”

Like with sports, going to state means that EHS has proven to be in the top percentile of drama clubs in Illinois. However, “Celebration” has already received a score, and going to state is the payoff.

“In a way, we have already won,” junior Kevin Connelly said. “State for theatre is not so much a competition as it is a showcase…we were talented enough to get selected.”

Along with the hard work students have put in, the drama club also owes their success to the play selected for review. “Celebration” was selected by drama club director Kate Motley.

“[Celebration] was her senior college directing project,” junior Ashley Fillback said.

Mrs. Motley also chose the performance because of its uniqueness.

“Often, the festival looks for pieces that people may not have heard about,” Connelly said. “And I know [Mrs.] Motley likes to give us challenges.”

The students headed off to State in Champaign-Urbana on Thursday, and will have the opportunity to indulge in a selection of shows as well as workshops.

Drama club’s selection has been a great honor and is a worthy cause for “Celebration” this season.

Sam Jueckstock
Sam Jueckstock, Staff Writer
Sam Jueckstock is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She is the Views Editor for The Claw and Co-editor-in-chief of The Tiger yearbook. She considers the journalism room as her “second home,” and wishes the room could upgrade to a cubicle layout. She is a black belt in Taekwondo, is artistic, and is a font snob. Out of all the animals in the world, she enjoys dogs the most. Oreos are “America’s favorite cookie,” but her least favorite cookie. She uses Android religiously and hates Apple products. After high school, Sam wants to pursue criminology and eventually work for the FBI. When she’s not writing in the journalism room, she enjoys conversing in German with her best friend Caitlin Rutz.