College Brings Major Decisions, Are You Ready?

Come senior year, many students look to continue their education on the collegiate level. This can be an extremely stressful time and one of the most expensive investments that anyone will ever make in his or her lifetime—so it’s important to make the right choice. A way to make sure that you find a good fit is to visit potential colleges. While you’re at the campus, you actually have to pay attention to learn some information. Here are some questions you should ask your tour guide to get a better feel for the college.

“What are the average class sizes?” This question is probably the most important. A student is more likely to pay attention in a class size of 15 than say 200. That doesn’t mean that all classes will be like that, though. For the most part, as you start taking classes specific to your major, the number of students in your classes will shrink.

“Is there a strong Greek presence on campus?” Greek life is a part of almost every college. Joining a fraternity or sorority is a major decision that needs to be thought through. Why should you or should you not live a Greek life? Some Greek groups contribute to the community by doing multiple service projects while others just sit back and look forward to the next party. Either way, it’s a great way to meet new people, but sometimes it gets a little expensive.

“Dorm life?” This isn’t much of a question, but it’s a major part of the college experience. There are loads of questions to ask when gathering information about the dorms. Consider things like safety: how accessible is the dorm? Consider electronic necessities: is there a wireless internet connection?

“What about price?” Here’s the big one. One year at a university easily costs thousands of dollars. A college may feel great but be way more than anybody can pay out of pocket. This is where scholarships come in—colleges will pay students to attend their college. The only catch is that they will pay you more for how successful you were in high school. They use this information (grades, test scores, etc.) to determine how likely you are to be successful. Colleges want to be able to say that they have a high graduation rate. If they do, then they will bring in more students which will make them more money.

“I love going on college visits,” senior Haley Patton said. Patton likes to go on college visits during school days to get a better feel for student life. “It’s really a great time to get a feel for the student life of a campus.”

These are just some of the things you need to consider when visiting colleges. But the information means nothing if the college doesn’t seem like a good fit. A university may look perfect on paper, but doesn’t feel right to you. A way to figure it out is if you’re excited about that college during your visit. Nothing can replace first-person experience.

Connor Wright
Connor Wright, Sports Editor
Connor Wright is a Senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys playing soccer for EHS as well as writing for the Tiger Times in Journalism 2. Connor was born on May 9,1996 and has matured into a spontaneous young man. He plans to pursue a double major in journalistic writing and Biblical Studies with a minor in Spanish. He is looking at colleges right now and perfers to attend a Christian university such as Liberty University, Union, or Wake Forest. He enjoys the company of his friends and family.