“Ask Me a Question!”

Trends are everywhere. Fashion trends, music trends and speech trends all come and go. A new trend has started, but it’s not physical – it’s digital.

Ask.FM is a relatively new social media site that allows users to ask other users any question anonymously. The site allows users to connect via Facebook or Twitter accounts which enable people to connect directly to their peers.

Whether it is boredom or curiosity, Ask.FM’s internet traffic has increased exponentially since its origin in June of 2010. Students at EHS use it daily to have fun with their classmates. Unfortunately, Ask.FM allows users to insult others while hiding behind a screen.

Seniors Paige Pashea and Jacob Veitch have no love for the site.

“This type of anonymous question site has been around for years, and has always degenerated into nothing but trying to put another person down in order for the asker to feel better about themself,” Veitch said.

Pashea admits that she fell victim to one of these cyber assaults.

“I made one because I thought it would be a fun, but a group of decided to insult me and make me [feel] miserable,” Pashea said. “I decided to delete the account because they were saying stuff that wasn’t true and it was hurtful.”

Ask.FM now has an app. The app is a more mobile way of allowing students to access the site to interact with their peers. With the new mobile app of Ask.FM taking its place alongside the already popular Facebook and Twitter apps, people are becoming more and more distracted by the internet.

Are social media sites such as Ask.FM disrupting and causing the collapse of morals and virtues such as respect for another human being? Senior Haley Patton thinks so. “Social networking is an unintelligent way of communicating to others how you feel and it is destroying much needed human interaction,” Patton said.

Maybe the day Albert Einstein’s prediction is becoming a reality. “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”

Connor Wright
Connor Wright, Sports Editor
Connor Wright is a Senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys playing soccer for EHS as well as writing for the Tiger Times in Journalism 2. Connor was born on May 9,1996 and has matured into a spontaneous young man. He plans to pursue a double major in journalistic writing and Biblical Studies with a minor in Spanish. He is looking at colleges right now and perfers to attend a Christian university such as Liberty University, Union, or Wake Forest. He enjoys the company of his friends and family.