Guetterman Finishes High School Bowling Career With ‘Remarkable’ Performance at State

Corinna Winkler
Senior Nevin Guetterman bowls at a competition against Collinsville on Dec. 13.

Senior Nevin Guetterman placed 18th out of 122 at the IHSA Bowling State Tournament this past weekend, posting the highest EHS finish since 2009.

According to the Intelligencer, Guetterman had a pin total of 1,266 during the first six games on Friday, with an individual high score of 247. This placed him in 29th out of the top 30 bowlers who advanced to finals. In the final six games on Saturday, he finished with a 1,306-pin total, with his highest individual score being 258.

Although nervous about getting to state, he said the experience wasn’t as scary as he’d imagined.

“I was definitely not expecting to do as good as I actually did, because you’re bowling with the best people in the state,” Guetterman said. “It was pretty competitive, but everyone was still super nice.”

Reaching state was the main objective for his senior season, and he had confidence in his ability to do so throughout.

“It was a big goal for me to make it this season, so I was definitely pretty excited,” he said. “I wouldn’t say it was expected, but I knew I would be able to do it.”

Boys bowling coach Craig Ohlau said Guetterman’s postseason success reflects the growth and “unwavering work ethic” he’s maintained during his high school career.

“He has dedicated himself to refining his skills and pushing his limits, evident in the milestones he achieved during each stage of this postseason,” coach Ohlau said.

Those milestones include new personal records during the regional competition, the sectional round of regionals and in both rounds of the state tournament. Coach Ohlau attributes this to Guetterman’s consistent ability to stay focused and how he is “unfazed by external factors” when competing.

This attitude doesn’t go unnoticed by Guetterman’s peers. Senior teammate Thomas Rice had the opportunity to go to state for support and said determination led him to exceed the expectations of coaches and other team members.

“When he’s locked in, he’s focused… [Guetterman’s hard work] got him to where he is,” Rice said.

Rice described the environment at state from an outside perspective to be positive and “high energy.” While there, he made sure that his presence contributed to the uplifting atmosphere.

“I wanted him to do really well,” Rice said. “I was always supporting him and just cheering him on, trying to make sure he did good.”

Coach Ohlau said the level Guetterman reached at state is much harder than people might think because of the one-class system in place for IHSA bowling. This means that schools of different sizes compete equally in one competition, making it a more demanding and diverse environment.

“Finishing 18th in such a vast and competitive field is a remarkable achievement,” coach Ohlau said. “[Guetterman] is a student of game and is one to look up to on and off the lanes.”

Pera Onal
Pera Onal, Editor-in-Chief
Pera is a senior and third-year journalism student. In addition to being the editor-in-chief of Tiger Times Online and The Claw, she’s part of the EHS swim and dive team and the local club team, Metro East Titans. She is also a member of National English Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society. Outside of school, she lifeguards and gives swimming lessons at the YMCA. When she has free time, Pera likes to read, journal, and go to the movies with her friends.