The Lions Have Arrived

AP Images
Craig Reynolds scores a touchdown in the divisional round against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Jan. 26.

Terminator 2 topped the box office charts, Home Alone made its box office debut and “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston was the number one song. That was 1991, the last time that the Detroit Lions won an NFL playoff game.

Since 1960, the lions have had one playoff win. One playoff wins in 62 years. Then, this season rolled around.

This season, the lions won 12 games, their first division title since 1993 and now have multiple playoff wins.

But this season didn’t just happen. No, it was carefully planned out thanks to head coach Dan Campbell, general manager Brad Holmes and owner Sheila Ford Hamp. Hamp became the principal owner of the lions on June 23, 2020, and seven months later she hired Holmes and Campbell.

Now, while Holmes and Campbell get most of the credit for what this team has become, and rightfully so, neither of them would be here without Hamp.

Holmes got to work immediately and drafted their future franchise right tackle, Penei Sewell. Since then, Holmes has been one of the league’s best drafters as over half of his draft picks since becoming the general manager have turned into starters for this lions team.

Campbell, who was once laughed at for his introductory press conference where he promised to “bite off the kneecaps” of opposing players, has turned into one of the leagues most respected coaches and is a Coach of the Year finalist this season.

These are the people that were tasked with guiding a ship that had no direction and winning for a fan base that has never won anything before.

Fast forward to 2023 and I guess you could say they’ve done just that. The lions have won two straight playoff games for the first time since 1957 and sit one win away from a super bowl berth, something that has never been done in the history of the franchise.

The only obstacle left in their path to the Super Bowl is the mighty San Francisco 49ers. The NFCs number one seed and the team that has been to four of the last five conference championship games. Old vs. New is the storyline here as Dan Campbell and his squad will head into battle once again as they try to continue to shock the world and do something that no Lions team has ever done before.

Zach Cohn, Staff Writer
Zach is a junior and second year journalism student. He has been a member of the Edwardsville Hockey team for 4 years and is also a member of the EHS broadcasting club where he broadcasts EHS football, basketball and baseball games.