Dance Team Sets High Expectation for Upcoming Season

Reyez Hangsleben
EHS Dance team performs their award winning performance at the 2024 Southwest Conference.

Performing in front of judges and parents of opposing team members may be intimidating: the stares, the stage fright, the anticipation.

But for the EHS Dance team, those fears were proved irrelevant when they won the Southwestern Conference championship.

“After three years of hard work we were finally able to win,” senior Leah Deconcini said. “It felt really rewarding, it felt great.”

Dance team also won championship at the in school regionals on Jan 6. Having placed first in all their categories, the dance team were able to advance to the Southwestern Conference. 

The team is ecstatic their hard work has paid off according to senior Kylie Johnson, being that the team has put in extra hours into practicing for these competitions.

“The mood has been really good,” said Johnson. “We’re all uplifting each other and being super supportive towards each other.”

Alongside the team’s recognition at regionals, junior Addison Keller was awarded the Rising Star medal, an award only handed out to a few dancers in the conference who stand out to the judges.

“Being awarded the Rising Star award was a really awesome feeling,” Keller said. “It was nice to feel that the hard work I’ve put tinto dance was acknowledged.” 

Even though the team received these prestigious accolades at the regional conference, they were even more nervous about the Southwestern Conference.

“It’s more anxiety ridden since the Southwestern Conference is with schools that are all around us and we compete against people in different classes,” Johnson said.

Once the team won the championship, those fears were put to rest.

“I screamed,” junior Lucy Schapman said. “I was really excited, there was a little bit of crying and it’s just really crazy because we worked so hard for it.”

The EHS Dance team is now eligible to perform at sectionals in which they will find out if they are able to perform at IHSA.

“This year we are hoping to make it to state and hopefully make it to day two,” Johnson said. “All of us are really excited and we are hoping for a good season.”

Owen Anderson, Staff Writer
Owen Anderson is a senior and a second-year journalism student. He is a second-year member of EHS Yearbook holding the position of co-managing editor. He plans to major in English on a pre-law track. In his free time, he enjoys listening to music, writing reviews for movies on Letterboxd and reading. One thing about Owen is that he has a blasé attitude about anything, yet has a strong opinion on everything, even topics he is not quite informed on.